Monday, February 14, 2011

Obligatory Valentine's Day

I love Valentine's Day. I've only ever had a significant other on 1 (well, today makes 2) Valentine's Days ever and I've still always loved it. I've never called it Single's Awareness Day, and I've never attended an I Hate Love party. I love Valentine's Day. For those that say it's only a money-making, superficial holiday, I ask:
  • Do Christians only love Jesus on Christmas? (I'm an atheist, I can't really say.)
  • Do people only value your existence on your actual birthday? No? So why celebrate it?
  • Are veterans only appreciated on Memorial or Veteran's Days? No.
Of course if you're in a relationship, you should appreciate and celebrate your love on other days. Yes, it's a Hallmark holiday. But everyone should embrace it, in my opinion. It's a day to celebrate the cheesy and absurd aspects of love and romance. Single people can get in on the action by exploring what it is they want in a romantic relationship. There is nothing wrong with a day dedicated to us. In an earlier post, I mentioned that relationships aren't necessarily equal to the sum of its parts. I still maintain that.

Valentine's Day is a chance to celebrate what the relationship is, has been, and will become. Greater, better, more wonderful than the sum of its parts.

Happy Valentine's Day, Chris. I love you unconditionally. I hope that you are, and always will be, my Valentine.

1 comment:

  1. That's a great outlook; one that I sadly did not have growing up. I wish I had; I might have had a more positive outlook on life in general if I could have found the positive in something like that.

    And, in answer to your semi-Rhetorical loving Jesus question, no we don't just love Jesus on Christmas.

    Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete