Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Meditation

I started meditating last night. It went rather well, I think. I only fell asleep once. I did it right before bed time, so I guess now I know to do it a little earlier in the future. As I am only just beginning to train my mind to perceive the world in a different manner, the meditation process I followed was like this:
  • I set a timer for 15 minutes, and placed it under my blanket to muffle it.
  • I laid down on my back with my hands resting on my abdomen.
  • I counted each exhalation, without changing the speed or depth of my breaths, up to four.
  • I repeated step 3 until the timer went off.
  • I focused on the act of counting. When my mind would wander, I would firmly, but calmly bring it back to counting, as I would a child.
  • I remembered to beware the act of acknowledging that I was successfully counting.
It was harder than it seems, but I feel great. I will continue this for two weeks, and then after that I'll go to 20 minutes. Two weeks at 20 minutes, and then I'll go up to 25 minutes for another two weeks. And then, I will reassess and maybe start a more visual meditation.


The Thousand Petaled Lotus, perhaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment